Well, it looks nice from the front.
I put some care into modifying the pattern to match my sloper. I traced the pattern onto the drafting paper (actually wedding aisle runner) and then overlaid that onto my red poster board sloper. The sloper is only half of the front, whereas the pattern is the full front. So I folded the traced pattern in half and lined it up with the center front of the sloper, and then traced the shoulders, neck and armscye from my sloper onto the traced pattern.
Then I did the same on the back.
The fabric came from MarcyTilton.com, a ponte knit (“Mont Blanc”). It’s got very good drape, and there’s a surface texture.
I put a lot of thought into whether this fabric would work with the pattern. I pondered pattern matching, and whether to use a different fabric for that middle insert, but decided that black piping along the seam lines would separate the sections sufficiently. I also thought carefully about whether this had enough drape for the pattern (and for my body type!), I concluded that it would be fine.
And I think I was wrong about that.
From the waist up, the fit is fine. I wasn’t sure that I would like this collar, but husband commented positively on it, which is uncommon.
But yikes! That side view!
This might be due to the angle of the photograph, but I doubt it. I think the piping adds stiffness to the seams, which just doesn’t work across the back “hip.” And there’s just too much volume.
The back isn’t so nice, either. Although I think it’s just caught up on my clothes on the side, and as usual, my photographer didn’t say anything about it. Phfft.
You can see in the center upper back a seam where I pieced due to lack of fabric. Despite great care to pattern match (I traced the design of the fabric onto the pattern piece in order to match exactly.), it didn’t work very well. I made the whole top with 2 yards, just slightly less than the 2-3/8 yards that the pattern calls for. This includes using my own sleeve pattern, changing the shoulder area as described above, and I also shortened the whole thing by about an inch just above the waist.
I really thought carefully about whether the drape on this fabric was soft enough, and I really thought that it was. But it’s just not. You can see the problem around the upper arm here on the back, too. A slimmer person would be able to pull this off no problem. But on a more, um, softer figure, the fabric really needs to fall pretty straight. Like a rayon or bamboo knit, perhaps. And this fabric reads visually as if it were a scuba knit, perhaps. It just LOOKS like it has thickness to it.
You can see on my left (right side in the photo), that the extra volume just sticks out.
If I tuck out that extra volume, it looks better.
In theory, I could just re-sew the side seam taking in the extra. But the hem line from from to back is not level here, so it’s not quite that straight forward. The lower bias-cut insert could also benefit from losing some volume. Since I used piping in between the pieces, pulling it out will be a pain, but I’m thinking seriously about doing so, both front and back. This is just not a good look. I also may re-sew that back armscye to take out extra fabric there as well.
Although I do want to try the pattern again! I’m pondering making it with the middle and bottom inserts cut together as one piece, and then the top piece in a contrasting fabric.